Best Cookies For Christmas
Christmas comes with a number of traditions, but there’s one particularly tasty custom that makes the holiday fun for the entire family. Have you ever considered why we leave cookies out for Santa? Besides the fact the Christmas season offers plenty of unique flavors, there’s historical value in leaving a plate of cookies for Ol’ Saint Nick.
Christmas Cookies Tradition
History offers a number of reasons Christmas cookies are left for Santa Claus. One of the most popular stories describes how children would leave treats out for Saint Nicholas during the traditional feast of jolly old St. Nick. Food and drinks were left out for the Saint and his attendants in exchange for gifts that would be left overnight.
Another belief is that the birth of cookies for Santa came from Norse mythology. Families would leave hay and other treats for Odin’s eight-legged horse, Sleipner, in hopes the god would stop by their home during his Yule hunting adventures. Eventually, the tradition was passed to Dutch children who would leave treats for Father Christmas and his horse.
Classic Christmas Cookies
No matter which theory you choose to believe, leaving the best cookies out for Santa may just get you on the nice list. Whether you’re planning to bake them from scratch or pick up baked goods from your favorite Pawleys Island restaurant, choose from some of the most classic Christmas cookie recipes.
- Gingerbread Men Cookies: A staple in any Christmas tale or dessert platter, gingerbread cookies are one of the most classic holiday recipes to share with your friends and family.
- Buttery Spritz Cookies: Create festive spritz cookies decorated with classic red and green colors to put on display on Christmas Eve. Use a variety of shapes to create the light cookie.
- Vanilla-Butter Sugar Cookies: There may be no better classic Christmas cookie than the sugar cookie. The dough can be crafted into a plethora of Christmas shapes and it’s a decorating job the entire family can help with.
- Peanut Butter Blossoms: Adding a Hersey’s Kiss to a delicious peanut butter cookie dough makes the perfect combo. Santa will love the soft cookie and classic chocolate duo. Pair it with a glass of milk and you’re sure to find extra presents under the tree.
- Jam Thumbprint Cookies: With a buttery shortbread base and warm jam center, these bite-size cookies are the ultimate indulgence. Make your own jam or choose from the variety at your local grocery store. (We’re partial to raspberry and blackberry)
- Shortbread Cookies: Need a cookie that’s perfect for dipping in hot chocolate or coffee? Shortbread is a savory flavor that can be customized with almonds, chocolate, or orange zest for a citrus twist.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Milk has a permanent partner with a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie. Stack these homemade goodies on a plate for Santa, and you’ll be left with only crumbs.
Of course, you don’t want to forget about Santa’s team. We’re told the reindeer love carrots and fresh leaves.