We’re proud to have one of the largest liquor selections of all the restaurants in Pawleys Island. In particular, we have a great selection of whiskeys from around the world.
Navigating your way around a liquor menu can be challenging. There can be a certain snobbery surrounding liquor, especially at some fine dining restaurants. However, we want everyone to feel welcome here! So don’t fear; we’re here to help guide you through our extensive liquor menu.
Read on to find out the differences between our whiskeys, and our recommended food pairings from our dinner menu.
We have three Irish Whiskey’s on our menu; Bushmills, Jameson, and Red Breast.
As the name suggests, to be an Irish Whiskey, the product must be distilled and matured for at least three years within Ireland (or Northern Ireland).
Irish Whiskey is made from barley and is distilled three times before being bottled. It is smooth and lacks the sweetness that bourbon whiskey tends to have; great if you prefer a more robust flavor.
The Irish have a great traditional lobster dish called “Dublin Lawyer”. It involves pouring Irish whiskey over freshly cooked lobster and setting it alight! Although we don’t serve Dublin Lawyer, we recommend trying one of our Irish Whiskeys with one of our lobster or shrimp dishes such as Shrimp and Scallops with yellow stone-ground grits and truffle butter.
We have 14 fabulous Scotch Whiskys (yes, they spell whiskey without an ‘e’!) on our liquor menu; this includes favorites such as Famous Grouse, Glenlivet, and Johnny Walker.
Scotch whisky needs to be entirely distilled and matured within Scotland to earn its name. Although three years is the minimum length of time it needs to be matured, many scotches, such as our Oban 14 year, are matured for a lot longer.
The main ingredient in Scotch whisky is malted barley. Unlike Irish Whiskey, Scotch is only distilled twice instead of three times.
Scotch whisky has an interesting flavor profile which is smoky with a bit of a bite. Often it is thought to have an acquired taste and not recommended as your first introduction into the world of whiskeys.
We recommend trying Glenfiddich with our Pennini with Shrimp. The delicateness of the shrimp matches the delicate flavors of the scotch, whilst the fat from the cream further enhances the pairing.
We have a small, but perfectly curated, selection of five Rye Whiskeys for you to choose from including Whistle Pif, Bulleit, and Templeton.
To be designated as a Rye whiskey, the end product needs to be distilled from at least 51% rye. The other 49% is often made up from corn and malted barley, although
We recommend pairing rye with our 8oz barrel cut filet steak. Steak and whiskey is a classic combination, and once you taste it, you’ll understand why! Filet steak, being lower in fat than some other cuts of meat, allows you to better appreciate the complex flavors of a rye whiskey.
Bourbon is made in the United States. Therefore it should be no surprise when we tell you that the majority of our whiskey selection is bourbon, with 17 excellent options for you to pick from.
To be classified as a bourbon, the overall mash bill must have at least 51% corn. Also, maturation needs to happen in new charred oak casks with no additives added. New barrels impart more flavor to the whiskey which is why you get a more oaky flavor.
Bourbon is typically sweeter than other whiskeys and has a hint of smokiness from the charred oak casks.
We recommend pairing bourbon with our signature Chive Blossom Chopped Salad or Crab Slaw. The smokiness of the bourbon further accentuates the apple smoked bacon, without being overpowering. The dried cranberries within the salad also compliment the flavor of the bourbon – you don’t need to take our word for it, they even used cranberries at the official Woodford Bourbon Academy tastings to demonstrate how the flavor enhances the bourbon!