The Power Of Pomegranate In Holiday Dishes and Cocktails
Pomegranate is often used in fine dining dishes, especially in the fall and winter. The seeds pair well in a number of salads and complement meat dishes like pork, chicken, beef, and seafood. Whether you’re planning a holiday brunch and want to mimic a cocktail from your favorite Pawleys Island bar, or you’re planning a complete holiday dinner, pomegranates can add the perfect flavor.
Pomegranate in Pawleys Island seafood
Seafood as a holiday dish is a great way to keep the meal light or start a new family tradition. There are a number of Pawleys Island seafood dishes that pair well with pomegranate.
- Salmon: Prepare your own version of Chive Blossom’s Mediterranean Salmon. Pomegranate seeds pair perfectly with the spinach and feta cheese. You can also prepare a fine dining dish by making pomegranate molasses and pan searing the salmon in the marinade.
- Tilapia: This light, flaky white fish is easy to prepare with a pomegranate salsa. The flavor of the fruit is enhanced with a toasted coconut coating on the tilapia. Try this salsa recipe from howsweeteats.com:
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- the juice of 1/2 lime
- the juice of 1/2 orange
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients together and top on pan-seared tilapia.
- Shrimp: The key to creating a fine dining experience with pomegranate and shrimp is to start with fresh, jumbo shrimp. Leave the tail on while cooking. Use sea salt and butter to season the shrimp and create a pomegranate glaze to toss the shrimp. The glaze is a combination of pomegranate juice and sugar with balsamic vinaigrette and garlic. The clashing flavors come together for an amazing marinade straight out of your favorite Pawleys Island restaurant.
Pomegranate holiday cocktails
Of course, no holiday dinner is complete without the signature cocktail. The bartender at your local Pawleys Island bar will help you decide on a great pairing, but here’s a simple guide to use:
- Spicy seafood: Tequila pairs well with seafood dishes that have a kick. Try the Chive Blossom Angostura Paloma with our Hot Crab Artichoke Bake to start the meal.
- Red meat: The House Manhattan is a smooth blend that compliments any steak choice.
- Chicken: When you don’t want to miss the savory seasoning of a classic chicken dish, opt for a Pawleys Island bar classic like Gin and Tonic.
Keep your holiday dinner fresh with one of these simple pomegranate cocktail recipes:
¼ cup 100 percent pomegranate juice (bottled or fresh)
Garnish with pomegranate seeds in bottom of flute
Pomegranate Vodka Gimlet
Juice from one lime
1.5oz pomegranate juice (bottled or fresh)
Garnish with lime wheel and pomegranate seeds
Pomegranate Gin Fizz
½ oz Pama pomegranate-flavored liqueur
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 teaspoon lavender simple syrup
Garnish with lime wheel
Keep the holidays merry and bright with these pomegranate recipes. If you’re scrolling through the list of “Pawleys Island restaurants near me,” search for an option that offers a fall or winter menu. Check out Chive Blossom’s seasonal selections.